Monday, March 3, 2008

My Book is in the Library of Congress! (Kind Of)

Is there something in the water? Looking at book galleys seems to be on the "to do" list for a lot of bloggers these days! See these posts in the past few weeks from fellow Civil War bloggers Chris Wehner, Michael Aubrecht, Eric Wittenberg, and JD Petruzzi - to name just a few - as they all spend time poring over editorial corrections, finding the right illustration material, and preparing indexes. Best Wishes for Success to Them All!

I'm doing the same as well. I received the galleys a couple of weeks ago for my forthcoming book, Lincoln's Labels: America's Best Known Brands and the Civil War (Edinborough Press, 2008) and spent a week or so making last-minute changes, additions, and indexing.

Eric, JD, and Michael are "old hat" at this already, but I can say unashamedly that, for me, it's been pretty cool and gratifying to come to each step in the process. The galley and the mock-up of the cover are the closest I've seen this project looking like a "real book" since I sent the manuscript to the publisher last fall. I think we are getting close!

Also, in the past week, my book was entered as a catalog record in the Library of Congress...That's an important library, right?! They must have hundreds of books (just kidding!).

I'll keep everyone posted as I get closer to publication.

No comments: