Monday, December 19, 2011

The Year of Reading Recklessly! (For Me, Anyway!)

In looking over the past year, one of the things I am happiest about is that I really increased my volume of reading...it was without a doubt my best reading year ever...I know folks at work, on Facebook, and on GoodReads who read many more books than me, but I'm really happy with the 23 I completed, almost all of which were excellent! And I'm even happier that it was of many different kinds of literature...nonfiction, fiction, young adult, and classics! Also, my first full e-book reading experiences!


Even better, I got the chance to do one of my favorite things: interview authors! It is always inspiring!


Below is a list of the author interviews I've done, as well as the list of books I completed, with links to my reviews on amazon (they have also been posted to GoodReads).


What were some of your favorite books this year? What do you look forward to reading next year?


Happy Reading to you in 2012!


Author Interviews


Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown - Picture the Dead (here)
Matthew Pearl - The Last Dickens (here)
Caroline Rance - Kill-Grief (here)
Rusty Williams - My Old Confederate Home: A Respectable Place for Civil War Veterans (here)
Stephen R. Boyd - Patriotic Envelopes of the Civil War: The Iconography of Union and Confederate Covers (here)


Books Read (and links to amazon.com reviews)


Classics
Pride and Prejudice (Kindle e-book) - 5 stars - review here


Young Adult
Picture the Dead - 4 stars - review here


Other Fiction
The Professor's Assassin - 4 stars - review here
The Devil's Company (audiobook)- 4 stars - review here
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (audiobook) - 4 stars - review here
The Last Dickens - 4 stars - review here
Kill-Grief - 5 stars - review here
Irish Alibi - 4 stars - review here
The School of Night - 5 stars - review here
The Ghost Writer - 3 stars - review here
War in Heaven - 4 stars - review here


Nonfiction
The Four Loves - 5 stars
Shooting Soldiers: Civil War Medical Photography By R.B. Bontecou - 4 stars - review here
Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution - 4 stars - review here
Stan Musial: An American Life - 2 stars - review here
Quack, Quack, Quack: The Sellers of Nostrums in Prints, Posters, Ephemera, & Books - 5 stars - review here
My Old Confederate Home: A Respectable Place for Civil War Veterans - 4 stars - review here
Halls of Honor: College Men in the Old South - 5 stars - review here
The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington - 4 stars - review here
Tainted Breeze: The Great Hanging at Gainesville, Texas, 1862 - 5 stars - review here
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal - 5 stars -here
Patriotic Envelopes of the Civil War: The Iconography of Union and Confederate Covers - 4 stars - review here
Biotransformation and Metabolite Elucidation of Xenobiotics: Characterization and Identification - 4 stars - review here

No comments: