Monday, September 24, 2007

In Badger Country

Just a quick note to apologize for the lack of posts the past week or so. I was in the "wilds" of Wisconsin (the Devil's Lake area) all last week attending the a science conference on drug metabolism realting to my day job.

When I attended the Society of Civil War Surgeon's annual conference last March in St. Louis, I actually met someone who is an expert at drug metabolism and we had some great conversations as to how our professional expertise and interests translate to Civil War medicine...unfortunately, I didn't meet any "fellow travelers" as far as the Civil War goes at last week's conference, but that's OK.

I'll be posting this week...I promise!

Jim Schmidt

2 comments:

Noreen Henson said...

Hi there,

I couldn't find an email address for you on this blog, so I am writing in your comments (hope that is ok)

I thought you might be interested in a new book we are publishing, "Images of Civil War Medicine: A Photographic History" by Gordon Dammann, DDS, Alfred Jay Bollet, MD.

The book is an extensive collection of never-before-published photographs taken during the Civil War. It provides a visual encyclopedia of medical facilities, individual surgeons, and other medically related phenomena, accompanied by a text describing the main features of Civil War medicine.

Author Dr Gordon Damman is the founder of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, MD. His co-author, Dr. Alfred J. Bollet is the author of the award winning Civil War Medicine: Challenges and Triumphs.

I would love to send you a galley copy. If you are interested, please send me your mailing address.

Noreen

Nhenson@demsomedpub.com

Jim Schmidt said...

Dear Noreen:

Thanks so much for your kind message. I actually already rec'd a galley of the book through my connections at **Civil War News**...I was really impressed w/ the quality of the review copy. I'll be penning a review and hopefully author(s) interview in the column and on this blog.

Best Regards,

Jim Schmidt