A Confederate cemetery in Springfield was established in 1871 by the "Confederate Cemetery Association" for the interment of Confederate soldiers. It contained about six acres, of which just over three acres were enclosed by a wall. The cemetery adjoined the national cemetery. An Act of Congress approved March 3, 1911, authorized that the Confederate Cemetery would become part of the Springfield National Cemetery. Still, the original deed contained a restriction that the cemetery would never be used for any other purpose than as a cemetery for the graves of men who were in the military or naval service of the Confederate States of America. Interestingly, the restriction was not fully relaxed until well into the twentieth century.The most prominent memorial in the Confederate section is the "Price Monument." The monument is about 15 feet tall and is topped by a larger-than-life-size bronze figure of a Confederate soldier (itself about ten feet tall). It was erected in 1901 to honor General Sterling Price.