Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Just Received - Part I - Civil War America/On Point

In the past six months, I have had the privilege of receiving a number of books to review for On Point: The Journal of Army History. I published capsule reviews of the first two of these on the blog, including The Soldier's Pen and Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, and Prarie Grove: A Battlefield Guide.

I was pleased, then, in the past week to receive another book for review: James Marten's Civil War America: Voices from the Home Front (Fordham University Press 2007 softcover reprint of 2003 hardcover by ABC-CLIO). I look forward to reading the book soon.

In addition, I strongly recommend On Point magazine: it is an outstanding publication in terms of content and production quality, and the "Book Review" section is fantastic in terms of scope and the credentials of the reviewers. A subscription to the quarterly journal is included with a membership to the Army Historical Foundation, whose mission is "preserving the history and heritage of the American Soldier." The AHF's projects include "refurbishing historic Army buildings, acquiring and conserving Army artifacts, supporting the study of Army history through research and educational programs, preparing traveling exhibitions, and awarding annual scholarships and book prizes." I'm a member and I happily encourage others to do the same.


No comments: