Monday, October 20, 2008

Princeton...Sigh

Well, my "whirlwind book tour" through the Lone Star State is done and it was a great success. I'm going to post a round-up later this week, but first I just have to comment on another trip (this time on business) I just returned from: Princeton, New Jersey.

The company I work for has two sites: one here in The Woodlands, TX, just north of Houston, and the other in Princeton. Once a year or so I get the privilege of traveling up to NJ to meet with my colleagues.

Last week was my second trip there and - unfortunately for me - both of my trips have been so full of business meetings I haven't had the chance to take advantage of what I know are some excellent American history sites, especially ones related to the American Revolution.

I just have to take an extra day on my next visit to see the Princeton Cemetery (once called the "Westminster Abbey of the United States" because of the important people buried there), sites associated with the Battle of Princeton, etc.

As an aside - I had actually just got past the chapter about the battles of Trenton and Princeton in John Ferling's Almost a Miracle (a GREAT book, by the way!). If anyone has advice on the best books to learn more about the Battles of Trenton and Princeton, I'd sure appreciate the tip.

Of course, not all of New Jersey's historical or tourist attractions make much sense...I mean, does the Garden State really need a Wild West City?

1 comment:

DW@CWBA said...

Jim,
The Rev War "battle books" rarely reach the quality of the better CW ones, but I would recommend David Hackett Fischer's "Washington's Crossing". It's got everything one might wish for, and more.

Drew