Monday, January 2, 2012

Have You Resolved to Write in 2012? GREAT! Maybe I Can Help!

Happy New Year! The closing of one year and the coming of a fresh one often brings resolutions and goals for hoped-for accomplishments in the New Year. Perhaps for some of you that goal is having your research and writing published in one of the newspapers or magazines directed at Civil War enthusiasts or some other type of writing. I hope so!

My goals for this year include finishing my manuscript for my forthcoming book on Galveston and the Civil War (learn more here) which is due in early summer and will be published in late fall; writing columns for The Civil War News; contributing as much as I can to the website of The Civil War Monitor; keeping up with this blog; fighting a never-ending battle with procrastination; but my resolution is to make this Galveston writing project my last nonfiction book, at least for awhile. Many reasons: I want to get back to writing shorter articles and I have ideas for many, I want to concentrate on reading, and - most important (and most frightening!) - I want to try my hand at fiction in the next few years. We'll see how it goes!

Anyway, back to the beginning though: have you resolved to write for publication this year?

When I started this blog, one of my stated missions was to share advice based on my experience in writing for historical publications, and I had started a series I called "School of the Writer." The first few posts can be found here:

School of the Writer - Part I - "The Big Picture" (here)
School of the Writer - Part II - "Credentials" (here)
School of the Writer - Part III - "Picking a Target" (here)

I've been terribly remiss in keeping up with the series so I've also resolved to continue it...and soon!

Good luck with your writing goals this year! I'd love to hear about them!

No comments: