Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lincoln's Labels - Judging a Book By Its Cover

Good news and bad news...the good news is that Lincoln's Labels is off to the printer! The bad news is...oh, there isn't any bad news! I just have to be patient until I see the real thing. The "official" release is August 1, 2008. You'll see the amazon listing and a "Let Me Know When It's Ready" button here.

The graphics in this message are of the front and back cover of the dust jacket...what do you think?! Of course, I'm biased, but I think Dan Hoisington, publisher at Edinborough Press , did a super job on the cover design.

I've given some previews of the material covered in the book in previous posts:

Scientific American magazine and the Civil War: here and here
The du Pont gunpowder works and the Civil War

American Express, Adams Express, and Wells Fargo and the Civil War

The Squibb Drug Company and the Civil War

The important role of other well-known companies are also found in the book, including: Brooks Brothers, Tiffany & Co., Borden's, and Procter & Gamble.

I'll continue to provide some additional "capsule histories" and keep you posted as I get closer to actual publication!


3 comments:

Don said...

Congratulations, Jim!

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me the myriad ways people choose to write about the Civil War. This seems to me a fresh approach to the topic. Can't wait for the book to be published.

Best
Rob

Jim Schmidt said...

Don and Rob -

Thanks so much for your kind comments...I do hope that "Lincoln's Labels" will be a fresh approach to Civil war studies...I also hope it will serve as a springboard for others - in the Preface and my "Essay on Sources" I detail some opportunities for additional research.

All My Best,

Jim Schmidt