Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Kind of Town, Chicago Is!


Let the shameless self-promotion commence! If any of you live in Chicagoland, I'm pleased to let you know that I will be speaking to the Northern Illinois Civil War Round Table (Arlington Heights, IL) on Friday night, May 2, 2008 (7:30p), to introduce my new book, Lincoln's Labels: America's Best Known Brands and the Civil War.

I'm so happy that the NICWRT is home to my first talk on the book as I have many friends in the group. I'm an ex-Chicagolander myself having lived in the far NW 'burbs (Crystal Lake, IL) for about 10 years when I was working as a scientist at Abbott Laboratories.

I was active in the McHenry County Civil War Round Table, and had spoken to other local groups, including the NICWRT; I spoke to them in March 2004 about another of my favorite subjects: the important and interesting role of the University of Notre Dame in the Civil War.

Even though the book is not being "officially" released until August 1, 2008, Dan Hoisington at Edinborough Press has been working hard to get some early copies from the printer, so if you are at the meeting you may have a chance to get the book well in advance of other folks.

In any event, my real mission is as it always is when I speak to a group: to make sure everyone leaves the room knowing something new and interesting.

If you are able to come - and you read the blog - please stop by and let me know!

No comments: